On 2/6/07, Michael Beal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've thought this through for quite some time.  I have many reasons for
> wanting to go in a different direction.  I will state that none of my
> reasons are because of anything personal against anyone on the lists.  There
> are development goals I'd like to persue with the now deprecated 1.6 code
> that I do not feel are currently being pursued.  I also do not feel that my
> development goals will fit with the majority of the current developers on
> this list.  I can safely say that the current version running on my system
> is very far from the original 1.6.2 package I installed.
>
> My primary goal is to develop a stand-alone system; one which competes well
> against M$ Media Center; requires no outside supporting hardware; fully
> interfaces with both conventional and widescreen monitors; and requires no
> more than a TV or monitor and 2, 4, 6 or 8 speakers.  The current state of
> the project, from my personal experiences, does not indicate that these
> goals are being considered.
>
> Some of you use SPDIF for audio playback into external equipment.  Others
> use their 2-channel audio cards.  Some have widescreen monitors while others
> have 4:3 screens which do not operate at maximum resolution.  Because of
> these differences, there are strange quirks in the system that need
> attending and demand development of a more simplified yet standardized
> system.
>
> I don't feel that testing has been accomplished to the degree required in
> order for Freevo to be a complete, polished multimedia system.  Too much
> time is being spent developing new toys and gadgets while little time is
> going toward spiff and polish.
>
> I am now turning toward building an autoconfiguration plugin for my system.
> This, I believe, can not be accomplished on a system that is still under
> extensive development as is 2.0.  I also do not believe that a reasonable
> balance can be struck between the 2.0 branch and the 1.6 branch that I am
> currently using.
>
> For these reasons, I respectfully ask approval to branch the Freevo project.

I pretty sure I disagree with your opinion on spiff an polish.  If
there was anyone here who would offer some support adding in some
spiff and polish I'm certain they would be accomodated.  Actually from
memory thats why 2.0 was started.  Simply put, the who system
archtiecture is too fragmented and doesn't have an open enough
communications architecture to allow the kind of spiff that the *few*
graphic artists that we got interested in the project were asking for.

So 2.0 was born.  Some examples of technology that holds version 1
back is the lack of integration between the players and freevo itself.
 Which means between a play event and the freevo menu you have screen
blanking and other system level things going on which is wasted
resources and recedes from the users experience of integration.  Only
changing architecture will fix these types of issues.

I do agree with you there are so many different configurations for
freevo which means amny options are poorly supported at best.  I am
one of those SPIDF users you mention and the whole reason I moved to
SPIDF was because I couldn't get the volume stuff to work when I was
grabbing analogue TV with my crappy analogue tv card.  If I watched a
movie while recording from line in I would either hear what I was
recording or not hear anything at all.  This was the type of things we
dealt with as uesers of 1.6.  Too much hardware options..

I would respectfully ask that you consider freevo as branched already.
 2.0 is a completelys eperate branch to series 1.  1.6 was superseded
by 1.7 a long time ago.  And 1.7 almost daily updated by duncan with
patches submitted by the community.  I think it is 'more' polished
though there is obious room for improvement like some HD skins ;-).

I think it is a bit of a stretch that we would ask a user base to
rollback to 1.6.  I don't mind if you choose to use 1.6.  But I would
like it more if you attempted to use & develop on 1.7.  At least then
your code will have the visibility of the rest of the user base and
might have a chance to get ported to 2.0 once it does become stable.

Mick