Hi,

I want to do some brainstorming how tv stuff should be handled in
2.0. I will start with the prefect worls and let us think later if a)
this is the prefect world and b) how to do this. Please through in
your ideas here. See below the text about the footnotes.

In a perfect world you would configure basic stuff for the tvserver:
where to store recordings and what epg grabber you want to use. After
that start the server. Freevo will show no channels since there are
none.

Now start the tvdev. It will notice the tv cards and that no
configuration is done yet (1). It will start scanning (2). When
finished it will report the channels to the tvserver. Now the tvserver
has channels without epg. It will start the epg grabbing by itself to
download the information (3) (4) (5).

(1) This should be easy. Scan /dev/dvb and /dev/video* and we should
    get the information we need.

(2) More tricky. We need some initial tuning data.

(3) To do that we may need to configure the grabber. It is easy for
    our, but I guess all xmltv parser are a bit different. We need to
    configure the grabber to include all channels we have.

(4) We need a mapping to match analog channel ids or dvb names to the
    channel names the grabber uses. How?

(5) This may include different grabber. Maybe I have channels not in
    the xmltv grabber, I would need to use dvb information for this
    channels.

The only idea I have are that the epg needs to have the following
information:

o List of all channels available in all grabber. The grabber have a
  priority so we have one grabber getting us data for a channel.

o List of channels with the name, tuner id and dvb id for the
  channel. Maybe there is more than one dvb id.

o A grabber needs to have an interface to tell what channels to
  get. So a basic xmltv grabber is of no use. We need support for each
  grabber so we can configure the grabber and match our channel name
  to the grabber channel name.

Any idea how to do that? How does zaptoit work? What grabber (besides
xmltv) are out there? Could it work? Any better ideas?

Wash: This is gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die?
    - Serenity (2005)