Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Mathias Weber wrote:
>> What i'm not sure yet is where should i put it. I don't think it would
>> fit into popcorn, since it only play tv broadcasts. But still I think it
>> could be usefull for some other users than freevo, so we could put it
>> under kaa and just write a new plugin for freevo.
>
> kaa.base (or similar): basic ir send module
> freevo.ui.tv.plugins: plugin using it for TV control

I think the ir send module would fit into this, but what I have in mind
is something more general. I would to have a module that not only
supports ir for controlling an external device. It should be a generic
control for external devices that support ir, rs232, bluetooth, ...

> I would like to have such a module, I need an IR sender first. My
> problem is that with AC3 pass-thru you can't control the volume with
> the Linux mixer. So I need an ir-send-mixer.py that would transform
> freevo volume request into ir codes.

This is an other thing I would like to have as well. Because of this i
would like to have a generic solution since I need for the switch
between the freevo box and the tv also to switch the audio receiver to
the right channel.

Here some code what I have in mind.

class DeviceController:
        def send_command(self, command):
        def load_config(self, config):

This looks like something very simple. The commands would be strings.
The configuration where to find its device, device specific
configuration and the list of commands would be stored in the config.
That could be loaded from a separate file or something different (I
don't know yet).
May be we would like some kind of factory for the specific types so we
only need to now that we want to load  a DeviceController with a given
config. The factory would decide from the config file witch kind of
DeviceController implementation it would need.
In addition we could use the factory to send a command to all device not
only one, could be used for the switch between tv and freevo box where i
need to switch the audio receiver as well.

What do you think?

Mathias