On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 06:57:54AM +0100, Duncan Webb wrote:

> > This weekend I tried the geexbox theme and I like it very much.
> > I have a 16:9 720p tv and the images show a bit squashed.
>
> Have you tried setting the IMAGEVIEWER_ASPECT? It wasn't my original
> intention to modifier all images, just the image viewer images, but it
> does resize all images.

No. I'll try it and say if it works but I think I will have some
problems fitting the info because I think the skin will say that the image is
bigger than its real size in the screen but the text will try to fit in
a 600 pixels height. If I do a skin of 450 pixels tall I think the
images will be compressed or with a false height that won't match the
450 pixels height of the skin.

My TV in the actual mode is not 4:3 anamorphic but its aspect ratio is
16:9 with square pixels so I don't think playing with an aspect
coefficient will work, but well, I'll try it and see what happens.

My other problem with images is related to the aspect ratio of the
image in the skin and the real aspect ratio of the images.

In the skin the "watermark" images have a size of 438 width x 372 height

    438 / 372 = 1.17741935483870967741

but some of the real images have different aspect ratio

    movie.png   : 418 / 362 = 1.15469613259668508287
    weather.png : 512 / 362 = 1.41436464088397790055

I think that in the current 4:3 skin the images are a bit distorted but
maybe it's so little that our eyes can't see the diference. When doing
the 16:9 skin some images gets squashed visibly depending on their aspect
ratio. After cropping the images to match the 1.17741935483870967741 the
images don't get distorted.

I think many skins have this problem with images that don't match the
skins image dimensions. Maybe it's time to do an audit to the skins ;-)

I have also added to the theme two CC-By licensed images found at flickr
for games and reminder plugin that I felt good quality and apropiate
for the theme.

The images are http://www.flickr.com/photos/binary_koala/496901414/
and a cropped version of
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mamchenkov/476855284 without the commercial url.