Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 21:10 +0100, Dirk Meyer wrote:
>> It is the simulate parameter for nf_generic. We need it to run the
>> notifier loop in a thread for testing. This is a very kaa specific
>> patch crunchy does not like in pyNotifier.
>
> What is the behavior of pynotifier with simulate=True?  From what I can
> see it just causes it to call select() on any fds we're monitoring, but
> doesn't do anything else (call timers or dispatchers) or even invoke
> callbacks for the fds that had activity.

Right

> So what is it needed for?  Why is this behavior useful for testing and
> for running the loop in a thread?

It is needed to run the notifier in a thread if we hook into a
different mainloop. See nf_thread.py and test/kaa_in_twisted.py

> I'd like to come up with an alternative approach to do what you
> need, or else rework the behavior so that crunchy would be more
> amenable to merging the changes.  Since it sucks to effectively fork
> pynotifier for such a trivial change.

I don't mind, it's only two new and one changed line. Easy to adjust
on an update.

Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because
more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the
world.