Liz wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Duncan Webb wrote:
>> It's a bit of a shame that very few people do any testing...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Duncan
>
> Sorry, but testing properly means that i need to do a fresh install on a
> partition which hasn't had Freevo before. Yes, I own enough hardware to do
> it, but I don't have enough time.

You don't need to install freevo on another partition to run the svn
version. You can run it directly from the source directory, with a
./freevo or ./freevo -fs

You don't even need two local_conf.py files. So for example mplayervis
was split and renamed to mplayervis1 and mplayervis2. You can use the
version number to decide which plug-in to activate.

if version.__version__.split('-')[0] >= '1.8.2':
     plugin.activate('audio.mplayervis2')
else:
     plugin.activate('audio.mplayervis')

looks a bit complicated but isn't and goes like this:
version.__version__ = '1.8.3-svn'
'1.8.3-svn'.split('-') = ['1.8.3', 'svn']
['1.8.3', 'svn'][0] = '1.8.3'

this also works when the version number is '1.8.2'
'1.8.2'.split('-') = ['1.8.2']
['1.8.2'][0] = '1.8.2'
it doesn't work if the version number was '1.10.1'

The other change that sometimes happens is that I rename a variable say:
USE_NETWORK goes to SYS_USE_NETWORK.

It doesn't do any harm to have both entries in the local_conf.py, ie:
USE_NETWORK = 1
SYS_USE_NETWORK = 1

HTH
Duncan