Hi,

Sorry for cross posting but I thought there might be users on either
list that could help. Given I'm picking up keys to my first house on
Thursday I've got a sudden interest in home automation. I know there's a
plugin for freevo (for x10 I believe) but that's about it.

 From some quick research I see there's also zigbee as an alternative to
x10. I'm wondering if anyone has more knowledge on this and could share
their experiences. I'm in Ireland so UK or Irish specific hardware info
would be good. Off the top of my head what I'd be looking for initially
at least is control over power socket outlets and a gas powered boiler
with radiators as the central heading system.

I don't have an endless supply of funds so anything I might for will be
with a view to reducing consumption and bills (hence the central heating
control). Socket outlet control is probably more for convenience but
should help somewhat (e.g. when powering down freevo before going to bed
I can switch off all appliances downstairs and not have them on standby).

John