On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 03:15 -0500, Dan Saul wrote:

> With kaa.metadata version 0.7.7 it seems that the english language
> code is omitted. All other language codes show however.

Can you test with kaa.metadata svn?  English is certainly there and
working.

The mkv parser was discarding the 'und' language code though.  Not sure
why but it does seem wrong.

> What I propose is that either when the track doesn't have
> a language code that you place the language code "eng"/"English". Or
> that when the lang code is "und" that you show that as the lang code.
> As it stands it is impossible to know whether the language is English
> or Undetermined from what kaa.metadata returns.

Indeed mmg does do this, this is really surprising.  It doesn't seem
correct to me.  I don't see anything in the spec about this.  I'll look
at the code for an explanation in the comments, or try the matroska
forums if that's a bust.  I suppose it could be some backward
compatibility behaviour, but I want to verify.

Meanwhile I've committed a change to kaa.metadata to at least preserve
'und' language codes in Matroska files.

Cheers,
Jason.