On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, James Trietsch wrote:

> Howdy! Like I haven't done enough damage already, I have another one...
:-)

> I'd like to encourage some thought on how to keep this from happening. I was
> thinking a simple routine that creates a sorted list of favorites, then
> re-writes the list using their position as the priority number. This would
> close
> up any holes and resolve 'ties'. I'm just not sure where to do it. It could be
> done right before the favorites were saved off to the hard drive, or it could
> be
> done as part of the caching cleanup. Ideally it should be done often enough to
> keep holes from sticking around too long and confusing people.

I think the best option is to sort the favorites before they are save to
disk.

> Also one long-standing issue I've had with the favorites GUI are the options
> regarding duplicate recording and recording all or only new. I think it's very
> clever to make it an item in the menu that changes based on the status, but I
> find it very confusing. When it says 'Prevent Duplicate Recording', does it
> mean
> it's set to prevent dupes? Or that if you click that option, it will turn on
> duplicate prevention? Somehow I always end up selecting the wrong option
> thinking I have it right.

I agree, in cases like this the menu option should really be a sentence,
ie 'Enable duplicate recording prevention'. Even then its not great. I've
had a quick think and I think the best approach may be to use the table
style menus used for directory configuration, where on the left is the
option and on the right the setting. So for you example

Prevent Duplicate Records........_/

(that _/ is a tick by the way) The above would show the duplicate
recordings are prevented and selecting it would change the setting to a X.
I think this has a couple of advantages as your eyes don't have to travel
up the screen to find out the current setting.

Any thoughts people?

cheers

Adam