Hi Juan,

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 17:16 -0300, Juan Manuel Santos wrote:
> I believe this library is Unix only, so here goes my question: is it
> possible to build and install Kaa under Windows, or is this not
> supported?

Windows is definitely a platform dischi and I never cared to support.
In fact, no thought was ever given to non-unix platforms during the
development of any kaa modules. Consequently it's never been tested,
isn't supported by us, and Windows-specific patches almost certainly
wouldn't be considered for merging.

There isn't a _huge_ dependency on kaa.base in kaa.metadata.  You'd
probably have more luck emancipating kaa.metadata from kaa.base and
tweaking the remainder than trying to make kaa.base work on Windows.

There's the kaa.distribution stuff that setup.py imports, but you could
probably rewrite that with standard distutils.  It wouldn't be as robust
but it would get you far enough.

Then you could copy some of the dependent functions from kaa.utils
(which is part of kaa.base) like property (actually not needed if you
use Python 2.6), the Singleton class, and some of the helper functions
in kaa.strutils.

All this perhaps requires more motivation than you have, especially
given that none of the changes you make to kaa.metadata would be useful
upstream.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but there it is. :)

Cheers,
Jason.