Hi,

based on Jason's post I was thinking about kaa.candy, extra processes
for the UI and video player integration. I just played with a code
snippet and I suppose we could do the following:

We fork a GUI process on startup. It contains everything we need from
the GUI, including video playback. A video is just a texture just as an
image or text. We would have very high level widgets in Freevo where we
put everything together: add containers, text and images. On sync() the
information what we want to add or change is sent to the display using
kaa.rpc. Every widget has a display process counterpart. It does does
some basic additional procesing in the kaa main loop (like loading
images, etc) to not bother the clutter mainloop. After that, we have an
internal sync() like kaa.candy has now to change the IU. This step
should be as fast as possible to keep the animations and video smooth.

If something crashes (e.g. a bad video), the Freevo part could resync
everything.

I need to play more with this idea to see if it works. From Freevo's
point of view, not much will change compared to the current design.

Regards,

Wash: This is gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die?
    - Serenity (2005)