Thought I'd ask here - because the mini-itx boards use via audio,
someone might have researched this already, or even tried something.

        My freevo system, mostly used to play back preencoded media, is based
on a microatx motherboard that has integrated via audio. To date, I've
been using the analog output from an SB Audigy card, and I've never
tried the via sound - though i know the drivers at least load.

        My motherboard - Biostar M7VIG-Pro - has an undocumented s/pdif header.
I got to thinking about that last night, and discovered that the M7VIG-D
board has it *documented, and that there's a dongle available for the
board with optical and coaxial output.

        And furthermore, that NewEgg has said dongle offered at $8usd with free
shipping and a free "$6" translucent yellow Biostar pen. Clutching my
already prized translucent yellow Biostar pen in my hands, I pecked out
some orders, and expect my dongle and a cheap toslink cable off ebay to
arrive some time this week. And another pen.

        Has anybody tried using the digital-out of some of the miniitx C3
boards? Should be the same setup as my board.

        I can't find much information about this at all. Also, more
importantly, is it possible to simply transmit an AC3 stream through the
digital output of the via audio system? and, how? I'm already using alsa
for pretty much everything.

        Thanks.

 - eric