On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Aubin Paul wrote:

> I'm not sure about the RPM distributions, but I know that getting
> dependencies handled on Debian is fairly straightforward. Is there
> some  way of making a "dependency" package in RPMs or something, or
> depending on RPMs from rpmfind?

I thought one of Krister's rationale for the runtime is to make sure that
the versions of dependent software are consistent. This may not be easy to
accomplish in RPM environments (upgrading python to a new major
version without breaking existing dependencies in the distro is probably
going to be a major pain, for example).

RPM will check for dependencies, and tell you what packages FOO it needs
to install BAR, but it won't go and download it for you automatically.

There may be tools available that provides this autodownload feature
though. The problem with Redhat is that a lot of the freevo dependency
packages are not provided by the default distro, so folks will have to
scrounge for them from somewhere (not from another distro). It's not easy
to install e.g. a Mandrake RPM on a Redhat distro due to package naming
and different packaging conventions.

To fully support this all the supporting packages (including patched
versions, e.g. SDL) would have to be provided along with the core freevo
RPMs, which is almost as bad as what we're doing with freevo-runtime at
this point. (Well, python is included with Redhat, though not all the
python modules we need are available). If we could make the runtime
build process fullproof (Rob is having lots of problems everytime he tries
to release a new runtime), then it could be automated into a SPEC file to
generate the runtime RPM package which would be used by RPM-based distros.

T.C.
----
Wan Tat Chee (Lecturer)
School of Computer Science, Univ. Science Malaysia,
11800 Minden, Penang, Malaysia.   Rm.625 Ofc Ph: +604 653-3888 x 3617
NRG Lab Admin: +604 659-4757           Rm.601-E Ofc Ph: +604 653-4396
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]            Web: http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan
GPG Key : http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan/tcw_gpg-20030322.asc
F'print : DCF2 B9B2 FA4D 1208 AD59  14CA 9A8F F54D B2C4 63C7