here's an answer to one more Q,

a little while ago i was doing something similar with booting (but not media boxes, and not using runlevels). you can select runlevels from boot time if u want, but you can also pass on custom variables.

eg:

something in your lilo.conf like this:

image=/boot/fw1-C-2.4.18-1
       label=FW-C-3-PSF-1
       append="PSFIRST=1"
       read-only
       root=/dev/hdb3
       VGA=1
image=/boot/fw1-C-2.4.18-1
       label=FW-C-3-PSF-0
       append="PSFIRST=0"
       read-only
       root=/dev/hdb3
       VGA=1

note the append="", if i remember correctly you can use any variable name that isnt already used by the kernel/modules, PSFIRST worked for me back then fine.

and something like this within ur boot init scripts (i used this within the rc.sysinit script on a red-hat type system (based on the 'Core' distro)):

echo -n $"(debug): PSFIRST= ($PSFIRST) "
if [ "$PSFIRST" = "0" ]; then
       echo $"NO"
elif [ "$PSFIRST" = "1" ]; then
       echo $"YES!"
else
       echo $"ERROR! - unknown value!"
fi

add whatever u want instead of the "echo"s.

hope it comes in handy,

rohbags.

To answer some of your questions.
Yes you can choose the runlevel at boottime in linux. In grub you can add
the parameter init=4 (or other level of course) to boot your own custom boot
level.

Bart