Yeah.. I have a working dxr3 (hollywood+) in my freevo box..
I've got the same error that you have.. but all I had to do is to reboot,
and then it worked.
what do you get if you run em8300setup -q ? Does everything looks ok?
have you tried to run the card with mplayer (without freevo)
mplayer -vo dxr3 -ao oss://dev/em8300_ma-0 test.mpg
(or something like that)
This is my ldm:

modprobe i2c-algo-bit
insmod /apps/em8300-0.13.0/modules/adv717x.o pixelport_16bit=0
pixelport_other_pal=0
insmod /apps/em8300-0.13.0/modules/bt865.o
insmod /apps/em8300-0.13.0/modules/em8300.o dicom_other_pal=0 dicom_fix=0
dicom_control=1

and in my rc.local i've got
em8300setup -d
you might have to set the pal/pal60/ntsc too.. think i changed the defaults
on my modules to that..

Wich kernel are you using btw? I'm running 2.4.21, works perfectly. But with
2.4.22rc2 em8300 wont even compile :/
had to patch it to support i2c 2.8.0.. but the patch made em8300 to fail
compilation :/
Anyone running dxr3 with 2.4.22rc2 (or atleast i2c 2.8.0 ? )

Regards
Johan