"Mark Benson" wrote:
> Is this for real?

Yes

> However, I suspect that it will be difficult to gain patents on all but the
> newest processes (I use processes to refer to both software
> methods/algorithms and business processes) after all, you can only apply for
> a patent if the idea is not already in the public domain, thats not to say
> that many large companies have or are in the process or obtaining patents.

Let's see:

USA:

You can patent everything you like. Maybe we should patent 'build a
setop box with linux and a scripting language' or 'a program to
control xine and mplayer'. It doesn't matter, you can patent
everything.

Examples : Amazon One-Click-Patent, Someone has a patent for embedding
stuff in a website (Microsoft just lost on this) and maybe all in the
Europe section, too

Europe:

Right now can't patent ideas in the same way as in the USA. But some
patents are already granted, but the current law is against these
patents so they are of no use.

Examples: Amazon has a patent for 'sending gifts over a webshop',
Adobe on 'windows with tabs', some company on 'a progress bar', in
France someone patented 'working 35 hours a week' [1].

> Expect to see test cases if the proposals become "law".

It looks like the vote will be postponed. The German Linux Association
(LIVE) send some realy good docs to some German politicians (same for
some other countries) to show that the new law will be bad for Open
Source the German government is supporting and for small companies.

Dischi

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes, if you want to work 35 hours a week (German: 35 Stunden
     Woche), you may need to pay for this in the future

--
According to Kentucky state law, every person must take a bath at least
once a year.