> > We need to rething the metadata loading. It seems to work fine in most
> > cases, but too many files on a disc will slow things down. But without
> > mmpython parsing the disc, we won't have mp3 tags to sort the
> > items.
> >

> Hi,
> I have made some positive experiences by implementing progress indicators.
> This way, a process is not really faster, but the users feel better when
> they can see that the system is currently doing anything...
> Regards,
>       Thorsten

Hi,
I have now added a progress indicator to freevo/mmpython. I would tell it a dirty
hack, so I do not post the coding here, just the idea for consideration...
Here is roughly what the progress indicator does and how I have implemented it.
Normally, you get a popup saying "Scanning directory/disc, be patient". On my box, it
now says
        Scanning disc...
           656 of 720
I have changed the PopupBox.py and inserted a method set_text to set a new text. It
basically changes the text shown and triggers a redraw with method show if it is
currently displayed.
In directory.py, the method cache_dir is called. I have changed both the cache_dir
methods in mmpython/__init__.py and mmpython/cache.py to make them accept the PopupBox
as a parameter. In mmpython/cache.py, the set_text method is used to update the
information about how much files have bean processed yet.

This works fine for me. It allows to scan really full discs. It does not make the
thing faster, but I can bear it now.
But I would tell this a little bit dirty, because I needed to change mmpython.
If someone is interested, I could make it a little bit nicer and post it here. What do
you think?

Regards,
        Thorsten