Rob Shortt wrote:
> Does the DVB only ancode to mpeg2 on the tuner input?

DVB cards don't encode anything -- programmes are broadcast already
MPEG-2 encoded.

> This might be pretty easy.  Can you tell me how the DVB device works?
> Can you simply read a stream from the device and save it to a file?

Pretty much, yes.  You have to tune the device first, and then you
can read MPEG-2 streams from it.  You still have to pick out the
right PIDs, though.

I looked at trying to get this working with Freevo, but Python isn't
my thing and I ran out of time.  What I have right now is a wrapper
around dvbstream which tunes the card, grabs the right PIDs, and saves
the resulting MPEG-2 PS to disk.  It's called by WebVCR+ to do
timed recording.

But there's no real reason it couldn't work directly with Freevo,
though AFAIK TVTime is supposed to support DVB-T now so there may
not be much to do for live viewing at least.

Matt

--
                "I only touch base with reality on an as-needed basis!"
                                          -- Royal Floyd Mengot (Klaus)