Debhelper affects the _building_ of packages, not the installation. If
you want to use precompiled packages you'd need to have a package
called 'python' with version 2.3. This is not the same as having
python2.3

The python package depends on the default version of python. You'd
either need to grab the 'python' package from unstable (shouldn't be
hard since it has almost no dependencies except Python2.3 itself)

Aubin