"Gray, Tim" wrote:
> because it's a pre-release. these are newbies that need something that just
> works, and until the release candidate status is removed and it is called a
> full release I am reccomending to those that are not linux experts to stay
> away from the latest release until it is ready.

If everone stays away from the pre-release they will have bugs
left. The current rc release is more stable than 1.3.4, the code will
become 1.4 if no bug is found anymore. So please test it.

BTW, all Freevo releases (no matter if they have rc in it or not) are
stable releases.

> 1.3.4 just works.  I have had no problems at all with 1.3.4 except the
> weather plugin when you lose network connectivity, and I have a total of 6
> freevo stand alone machines running 1.3.4 out there in people's homes that I
> support... no crashes, no wierd bugs, it just works. (no these people don't
> care about watching tv through freevo. They want a digital VCR/media
> playback system.)

OK, you can download 1.3.4 from the website again. This will be the
case until 1.4 is out. But we won't accept bug report for anything
older than rc2.

> I warn everyone that is not really good at linux to stay away from any
> release candidate out there, kernel, mplayer, gnucash, KDE.. it doesnt
> matter.  Release candidates are for testing not for production use by
> newbies.
>
> So until freevo 1.4 is out of the release candidate stage I won't reccomend
> anything higher to newbies or new users at my Linux Users Group.

Again, Freevo rc releases are very stable and the reason for the rc is
to test it to find bugs.

> the release candidates are for those of us here that are comfortable messing
> about in configurations and trying to break it.

we have daily snapshots for those people.

Dischi

--
A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a
one-way street. - Doug Linder