OK, got video playback working in Linux after some agonizing flailing...

Using an ATI AIW Rage 128 card for video and a separate Hauppage WinTV
card for tuning.

The tricky part was the tv out.  I couldn't get it to work AT ALL using
virtually any trick... except that if I booted WITH the tv plugged into
the tv-out port, I was able to mplayer -vo vesa without difficulty--but
couldn't start in X.  The only way I could start in X was to use the
"vesa" driver--which worked fine, actually.

And so now here I am, using freevo with X and the vesa driver on an
overclocked Celeron 300 (OC'd to 450).  But I can't watch TV, because it's
choppy.

Here's what's happening--freevo watching TV is fullscreen, but very very
choppy (again, using the hauppage as in and the ati card as out).  But if
I watch TV (still under X11 and the vesa driver) using XawTV, it is
silkysmooth--but when I go fullscreen, it only takes up a window in the
middle of the screen, with black bars all around.  Grr.

Should I try using fbdev instead of x11/vesa?  I'm a bit confused here.
I'm wanting to use XMame as well, so it will have to play nice with SDL.
But the ATI Rage 128 is pretty finicky about its tv-out.  Anyone using one
with tv-out that could give some advice?

Of course, the sound is still screwy, but we're working on that in a
separate message.

-->VPutz