I have the exact setup you describe. IIRC the G400-TV marvel box was not
very well supported under Linux. Just like when you decided to get the
Matrox because of it's superb support under Linux I decided to shell out
the extra $20.00 and get a bt878 off eBay because it's the best supported
chipset under Linux.

I'm sure you could get the MGA running, but I'd be willing to be the
$20.00 for the BT878 will be worth it for ease of setup and quality of
drivers.

--Joe

> I'm helping a friend choose components for his Freevo box.  We have
> obtained a G400-TV, I've verified that it works great just like my
> G400-DH for framebuffer/mga_vid (after I gave mga_vid.o mga_ram_size=16).
>
> Should I recommend he get a BT878 in addition?  The G400-TV has capture
> capability (http://marvel.sf.net).  I assume this gives us v4l that
> Freevo would use just like it uses my BT878.
>
> Can someone give me a reason to have him buy a BT878?  Quality?  Is it
> noticably better?  Ease of configuration?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Joe Stump <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.joestump.net
"Label makers are proof God wants Sys Admins to be happy."