On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Matthew Bettencourt wrote:

> Ugh,
> I just updated to freevo-1.4.1 for no real reason (1.4 was working fine
> ) and I found out that my highly modified gxine-mediamarks file was no

Only files in /etc/freevo are considered configuration files by the RedHat
RPM package. I'm not using the mediamarks stuff so I must've missed it. In
any case, this file seems to be going away (as mentioned in another
followup post).

> longer the same.  The good news is that since I don't have emacs on my
> freevo box, I had a backup on my main linux box at home.  However,
> others might not be so lucky...   I am suggesting 1 of three things.  1:
> that the RPM not overwrite this file either through an example file such
> as local_conf.py file.  2: the rpm checks first before installing it and

Hmm. By right the local_conf.py file isn't overwritten. The Redhat RPM
package copies it to a backup (*.rpmsave) file though. However,
freevo.conf is regenerated when you upgrade (defaulting to NTSC, us-cable,
etc.). In 1.4.1, I've modified the install script to backup freevo.conf as
well.

> puts it in something like rpmnew.

Due to the way the freevo python installer runs, it's not easy to save a
new freevo.conf configuration file as *.rpmnew. There may be options that
are needed by the new freevo. The next best thing was to have a backup of
your old settings. If there's a better way to handle this I'd like to know
too.....