Thanks Alex.  Those were the tips I was looking for.  I believe I'd seen the
CONTROL_ALL_AUDIO setting before but had not changed it yet.  In case you were
wondering, the "IGAIN" mixer pot adjusted the following setting according to alsactl:

        control.29 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type BOOLEAN
                iface MIXER
                name 'Capture Switch'
-               value true
+               value false
        }
        control.30 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type INTEGER
                comment.range '0 - 15'
                iface MIXER
                name 'Capture Volume'
-               value.0 2
-               value.1 2
+               value.0 0
+               value.1 0
        }
Not sure if that will help the developers to deal with this sucker in the future, but
hopefully it will :)

Thanks again to each of you, expecially Erwan Velu for the scripts and example config!
 You are doing far more with Freevo than I am but I hope to change that soon :)

Thanks,
Matt