Hi,
to track such things on my system, the following approach works fine...

First, find the file config.py. Change the line
DEBUG = 0
DEBUG = 1  (or something > 1)

Run freevo and do whatever is not working.
Shutdown freevo.

Have a look at the directory /tmp/freevo. There, you should find a file named
main-0.log or main-1000.log or something similar. You should find the calls freevo
tried to perform in order to play your CD. (For example something with mplayer
cdda:....)
Try to execute this call directly from your command line. mplayer should give you some
hints.

Regards,
        Thorsten