Hi,
see below...

-ao oss:/dev/... does not help.

The problem is now solved in another way. Since I use "freevo -fs" to start freevo,
mplayer does not catch keypresses any more. It seems that freevo itself takes care
about the volume, which works.
I believe that this also was the way it worked on my other box.

Regards,
        Thorsten