Well, I spoke to rob about VIDEO_GROUPS, and looked briefly at trying to
set those up. However, it seemed overkill for my needs.

In the end I just wrote a 6 line perl script that was called with the
channel number as part of VCR_CMD immediately prior to mencoder.

I don't know if I should submit it (being perl instead of python), but
if anyone is curious, this is it:

#!/usr/bin/perl -W

my $input = $ARGV[0];
my @chan = split(//,$input);
foreach $integer (@chan) {
  $command = "/usr/bin/rc SEND_ONCE sky $integer";
  `$command`;
}

Seems to work quite well at any rate.

Cheers