Well, after scouring the NewEgg refurbished bin, I found an inexpensive
A7N8X-X to throw an old Athlon 1400 in, and so my Freevo has a
badly-needed upgrade from the Celeron 300 (overclocked to 450) that I was
using.  It's fantastic, but...

...video recording is now wonky.  Old recorded episodes are fine, but
anything recorded after the MB switch plays back slowly and has audio that
sounds like Zuul (ie deeply pitched, which makes sense because everything
is being played back at half speed or so).

I can't figure out why a new MB and faster processor would cause changes
in the recording (but not playback).  And unfortunately, I wound up doing
a Debian "upgrade packages" pass with aptitude about the same time (had to
swap some things out and ran into the usual testing cascading upgrade) so
I'm not sure if any of that changed anything.

Any suggestions?  My freevo is now useless as a recorder, which sorta
defeats the purpose...

(...additionally, watching TV through the Freevo seems jerky, and I don't
know why; using different TV applications seems smoother.  Am I missing an
mplayer setting so it's not properly using v4l overlays?  Recorded video
playback is great...)

-->VPutz