I made two changes. First I increased the size to
640x480 and the other was I set the vbitrate to 2400.
On my 1200 AMD, anything higher was causing lots of
distortion issues. I get a white lines spuratically
showing up like the picture frame was miss coded for a
second.  I have not spent to much time to figure out
if the vbitrate is trully causing that. With the show
I wanted great captures of (Home Movies) was
cancelled.  So now improving capture quality is not as
important to me as finally getting a card that works
for TV-out in the first place.

Wes

TV_RECORD_PADDING = 3 * 60

VCR_AUDIO = (':adevice=%s' % AUDIO_DEVICE +
             ':audiorate=32000:' +         # 44100 for
better sound
#              ':forceaudio:forcechan=1:' + # Forced
mono for bug in my driver
             'buffersize=64')             # 64MB
capture buffer, change?

# TV capture size for viewing and recording. Max
768x480 for NTSC,
# 768x576 for PAL. Set lower if you have a slow
computer!
#
# For the 'tvtime' TV viewing application, only the
horizontal size is used.
# Set the horizontal size to 400 or 480 if you have a
slow (~500MHz) computer,
# it still looks OK, and the picture will not be as
jerky.
# The vertical size is always either fullscreen or
480/576 (NTSC/PAL)
# for tvtime.
# TV_VIEW_SIZE = (640, 480)
TV_REC_SIZE = (640, 480)   # Default for slower
computers

# Input formats for viewing and recording. The format
affect viewing
# and recording performance. It is specific to your
hardware, so read
# the MPlayer docs and experiment with mplayer to see
which one fits
# your computer best.
# TV_VIEW_OUTFMT = 'yuy2'   # Better quality, slower
on pure FB/X11
# TV_REC_OUTFMT = 'yuy2'

# XXX Please see the mencoder docs for more info about
the settings
# XXX below. Some stuff must be changed (adevice),
others probably
# XXX should be ("Change"), or could be in some cases
("change?")
VCR_CMD = (CONF.mencoder + ' ' +
           'tv:// ' +                      # New
mplayer requires this.
           '-tv driver=%s:input=%d' % (TV_DRIVER,
TV_INPUT) +
           ':norm=%s' % CONF.tv +
           ':channel=%(channel)s' +        # Filled in
by Freevo
           ':chanlist=%s' % CONF.chanlist +
           ':width=%d:height=%d' % (TV_REC_SIZE[0],
TV_REC_SIZE[1]) +
           ':outfmt=%s' % TV_REC_OUTFMT +
           ':device=%s' % TV_DEVICE +
           VCR_AUDIO +                     # set above
           ' -ovc lavc -lavcopts ' +       # Mencoder
lavcodec video codec
           'vcodec=mpeg4' +                # lavcodec
mpeg-4
           ':vbitrate=2400:' +             # Change
lower/higher, bitrate
           'keyint=30 ' +                  # Keyframe
every 10 secs, change?
           '-oac mp3lame -lameopts ' +     # Use Lame
for MP3 encoding, must be enabled in mencoder!
           'br=128:cbr:mode=3 ' +          # MP3
const. bitrate, 128 kbit/s
           '-ffourcc divx ' +              # Force
'divx' ident, better compat.
           '-endpos %(seconds)s ' +        # only
mencoder uses this so do it here.
           '-o %(filename)s.avi ')         # Filled in
by Freevo

=====