Victor B. Putz wrote:
OK, this is one I should have been able to figure out for myself, but
it's perplexing me.

In my "recorded TV" folder, freevo is happily making an .fxd file for
every .avi that is recorded.  So I get pairs for everything recorded,
ie

06-28_23:30_Whose_Line_Is_It_Anyway_-_.avi
06-28_23:30_Whose_Line_Is_It_Anyway_-_.fxd

In the Freevo menu, that means I have one long list of two "groups" of
files--one of which has a descriptive name (with for example the
episode name as well as the show name), and one group that will just
have show names (for example, I will have two lines in the menu for
one show; one might say "Good Eats - The Egg-Files" and the other will
just say "Good Eats").

That's bad enough, but it's even more of a pain to try and delete both
files, so I just let the fxd's pile up and eventually remove them via
command line.

How can I turn off this spontaneous fxd file creation?

I've also had problems with it - my TV recordings don't show accurate lengths, for instance, they always show half the actual show length. And, if there was a problem recording the file, attempting to play the FXD would send Freevo into spasms with a popup box you couldn't dismiss.

In your case, I'm guessing the duplication is because Freevo figures your recorded file is an mpg or mpeg, not the AVI you see. Take a look in the FXD file to see what it thinks the real filename is. If it doesn't match, you'll see two entries.

I ended up making a once-a-minute crontab entry to "rm *fxd" in that directory. It wasn't worth the hassle.

Regard,
Chad