-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Im Auftrag von Peter
Howell
Gesendet: Dienstag, 3. August 2004 23:27
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: [Freevo-users] Freevo - It's a hoax, right? (rant)

I'm not a linux expert by any means, but I'm not a newbie either.  I've been
using the OS for about 10 years now.  I can load modules and change
configuration files, but I'm not really comfortable investing the time and
effort to start fiddling with the code.  That having been said.  I've been
trying to get a functional freevo box for a couple years now.  I've tried
using wintv and matrox cards.  I've used two separate boxes.  I've installed
redhat 8,9, fedora core 2, debian and mandrake from scratch on multiple
occasions.  In each case I've had it almost working.  Usually there was one
final function that simply wouldn't work, and I just couldn't figure out
what was wrong, or find anyone else who had just that problem.  Sometimes
the sound wouldn't work, sometimes I couldn't record.  What is particularly
frustrating is that the problems are often different.  I could understand if
they were they same problems over and over.

Is there anyone out there who has actually been able to watch TV and record
shows (with sound) and spent less than 10 hours configuring the
system.   What system do you have?  I might just go out and buy it,
although I've sunk well over $1000 into this project already.

Which tuner card will just work?
Which sound card?
Which distribution will recognize both of the above upon install?
Are there any small (set top) boxes that that are suitable for this?
Which means of installing the latest version of freevo will produce a
functional install with the above hardware without multiple config file
edits or cryptic record_server errors?  I've tried manual compiles, apt-get,
yum, rpms and several combinations of same.

Ok, I have that out of my system.  Now I'm going to calm down and go start
the reinstall process again.  Sigh.  That's better.  A new install with no
mistakes in it yet.