Do you get the same behaviour with all DVDs? mmpython isn't picking them
up, it's seeing it as a cd, you should get an output like this.

mminfo /dev/dvd
mmpython media info

filename : /dev/dvd

        type: DVD
              ^^^
        subtype: video
        id: 2002020616260300D038006
        label: D038006
        length: 10765

AFAIR freevo caches this info so you'll have to delete
~/.freevo/vfs/disc/* each time you test. Also for freevo cache take
ownership of that dir for the user you normally run freevo as. EG chown
-R ellen:ellen /var/cache/freevo/