> This could probably be done as a Plugin. I might give it a go myself
> if I get time (Ha! Ahem...) I'd envisage a separate Transcode Daemon
> to take care of the transcoding, perhaps auto pause/resuming
> transcoding based on system load and/or other Freevo activity (ie; if
> Freevo not playing anything, and not recording, then Transcode!).

Check out the encoding server package from the addons page.  den_RDC
wrote it with these exact features in mind.  It may be that only a
plugin is required.

I'd be happy to to assist its developement, the existing plugin will
only send dvd's to the encoding server, I'd like th new plugin to be
able to create DVD's from any multimedia file and so forth..

> There could also be options to auto-transcode if a show is old, and
> disk is low...

Yes, this could easily be done within the same plugin.  I have written
one which will delete the the oldest avi in the tv_rec dir.  This could
easily be extended to listen to the recordign extention and then just
send it to the record server for re-coding...

Mick