This night I finally succeded in making my streamzap remote works on my debian box and on freevo.
It took me 2 days to make it work, so I tought a little howto could help people getting frustrated.... Here's how I did it...

First of all I upgraded to kernel 2.6.10. I don't know if it works somehow with previous versions, but I was getting tons of errors with my 2.6.7. So here's how:

Check your achitecture (i686, i386, etc)
(uname -m will do the work)
Download and install kernel image
(apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.10-1-xxx)
Download and install corresponding kernel headers
(apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.10-1-xxx)
Configure your bootloader to use your new kernel
( for LILO you should add something like that to your /etc/lilo.conf
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1-686
       label=Linux-2.6.10
       initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-1-686

and then issue the command lilo)

Reboot your machine
(from this time on, my Debian box started speaking deutsche...guess I did something wrecked)
Now make a correct symlink to tell your box where to find stuff
(ln -s /path/to/kernel-header /usr/src/linux The path will probably be /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.10-1-xxx)
Download LIRC cvs
( cvs -z8 -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/lirc co lirc )
Download patch
( wget http://www.desboroughs.net/streamzap/streamzap-lirc-cvs20050124-kernel-2.6.X-patch.gz )
Now you should apply patch
( go to your lirc directory and copy there the patch, then issue gunzip -c http://www.desboroughs.net/streamzap/streamzap-lirc-cvs20050124-kernel-2.6.X-patch.gz | patch -p1 )
The patch will fail in two hunk, in config.in and setup.data. Look the corresponding .rej files and fix the problem.
(I added streamzap: "Streamzap PC Remote" on line 111 of setup.data and something similar in config.in)
Issue autogen.sh and then setup.sh.
Select USB Devices and the Streamzap
Select save & configure
Now make && make install
Reboot your machine (kinda windoze)

When it comes up, open two terminals and launch lircd -n in one and irw in the second
Push some buttons (world, my finger is on the button -push the button-) and you should see some output.
Now add to your /etc/apt/sources-list the following two lines :

deb http://freevo.sourceforge.net/debian unstable main
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/  unstable main

Launch apt-get update

Now install mplayer
(apt-get install mplayer)
Install Freevo
(apt-get install freevo)

Ok, we're almost there... Now you need a file to configure the buttons on your remote. There is one in the source distribution of freevo,
grab it ( wget http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/freevo/freevo-1.5.3.tar.gz ) and unpack it (tar -zxvf freevo-1.5.3.tar.gz)
The file you need should be contrib/lirc/streamzap. Copy it in /etc/freevo.
Open your local_conf.py and add the line LIRCRC = '/etc/freevo/streamzap'

At this point, evrything was ok for me, except that only root was able to launch freevo without getting an error from lirc.py. Just permission crap, so go to your
/dev/ directory and chmod 666 (the number of the beast) lirc and lircd.

Ok. At this point configure your freevo as usual, launch it and astonish all your media-center addicted friends !

This is,as far as I remember some beer and lotsa cofee later, a step-by-step. Lemme know if you lack something.

Hope it helps.

Lorenzo