Ryan, within your mainMenu item, you'll need something like the below (chopped from my shoutcast plugin - see the dev archives for a full copy).
It's all to do with the actions function.  here you can choose whether to create another submenu or to actually do something.

def actions(self):
        return [(self.createMenu,'Web Radio')]

def createMenu(self, arg=None, menuw=None):
        radio_menu_items=[]
        radio_menu_items+=[menu.MenuItem("Top20",self.top20)]
        radio_menu_items+=[menu.MenuItem("Genre",self.genre)]
        radio_menu_items+=[menu.MenuItem("Search",self.searchPB)]
        radio_menu=menu.Menu("Web Radio", radio_menu_items)
        menuw.pushmenu(radio_menu)
        menuw.refresh()

Rande

Here is the little that I have been able to figure out.  I am able to
create a main menu item, and I know how to shell a command, but I cannot
create sub menus, and I don't have a clue on how to read and generate it
from a config file.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ryan