This is just a guess, but:
Try to start freevo (or any dfb application) *twice*. I have a kernel
2.6.10, DirectFB 0.9.21 and Freevo 1.5.3. For some reason (related to
DirectFB implementation, I guess), the first dfb application never executes
but ends at dfb error. The second one starts OK.

Actually I have added a row
/usr/local/bin/dfbswitch 720x576
in the beginning to my freevo script in /etc/init.d
After that, freevo starts. It does not matter which dfb application you use.

Strange, isn't it?

Kari