As I recall from the interview with some of the Freevo developers,
because Freevo use's other peoples apps and is really just a frame
work around them (very Unixish) shift-tv was not really going to be
something that could be done by freevo. If a client app say realtv or
mplayer get this feature then the plugin could be modified to make use
of this feature in the application.

Evan