I'm curious why you're using CVS versions? I am quite successful using
0.9.21 and 0.9.22 with similar hardware.

I don't exactly remember. But, i think it was because I had to use the CVS of the fusion patch (for some reason -- I wish I could remember).

I see you're attempting to play '2 fast, 2 furious'. Perhaps the
computer is objecting to a request to play such an awful movie? Maybe you
should try something that doesn't involve riced up cars and Vin Diesel?
(sorry, it's a cheap shot, but i had to take it)

That's a good call!!. Unfortunately, that movie was only selected since it appeared at the top of my list (instead of my undying love for crappy acting)

More seriously, I see that your mplayer is an old version and appears to
have been compiled with runtime cpu detection, or at least on a different
cpu than the one you're running it on.

This would indicate, perhaps, that your mplayer isn't compiled against
the version of directfb you're running.

well, mplayer was just whatever was current in the portage tree. I don't think anything is wrong with my mplayer because it works fine from the command line.

I also have to admit some ignorance as to what the linux-fusion package
is supposed to be. I just applied the fusion and mga kernel patches
included with the directfb source.

the linux-fusion package I was talking about was just the linux fusion patch -- sorry for the confusion.