Karl Lattimer wrote:
> One big advantage of using gst-python over xine/mplayer is that there is
> no need for an application wrapper to play media, as there are already
> python bindings to gstreamer.

That is no bug, it's a feature. If the mplayer dies, freevo is still
alive. If an integrated gst dies (e.g. memeory leak), Freevo dies,
too. And for development: a bug in gst can corrupt my python memory
and I will search a bug that is not mine. So no integration into the
Freevo process. Even the kaa.xine Tack is building will be called as
external app.

> Another advantage would be easier support of freevo, breaking any
> playback problems down to a single common denominator. Yet another
> advantage is that gstreamer has financial backing on a fairly large
> scale.

One step at the time. As Tack wrote: we are creating xine bindings
right now and we still support mplayer. As for gst: do they support
vidix for framebuffer or mgavid? I can't find a complete list on the
side. Without that feature, gst is useless for me and I won't make
anything a core player when I can't use it.

Dischi

--
Stress is when You wake up screaming and then realize You haven't slept at all