On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 18:01 +0200, Dirk Meyer wrote:
> If you know Java and Perl, you learn Python in 2 hours.

I started writing useful Python code inside 30 minutes.  And I got
pretty good at it in about a day.  That's the genius of Python. :)

On my second or third day of my exposure to Python, I wrote an extension
in C.  I had done some stuff with perlxs before that, and working with
Python/C API was bliss.  In a past life I wrote for linux.com, and had
done a set of Python tutorials.  One of the sections was on extending
Python.  I'm suddenly reminded of what I wrote of perlxs:

        Throughout this series I've been making references and
        comparisons to Perl. I did, after all, learn Python with a Perl
        background, and my learning was done making similar comparisons.
        In this part, I'll make no such comparisons, however. The Perl
        equivalent of the Python/C API, called perlxs, is horrid beast
        which is in no way friendly to beginners. Sprinkling perlxs
        examples in this tutorial will only bring out insanity. I'll
        spare you.

I continue to be impressed with Python's C API.  I only ever get caught
up with stupid things like never being able to remember if it's
PyLong_FromInt() or PyInt_FromLong() or PyLong_FromLong() :)

Jason.