"Florian Demmer" wrote:
> Am 25.10.2005 schrieb "Karl Lattimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>To be honest, with the current value of USD I wouldn't really bother
>>myself for that, I doubt that many others would too. I recon its going
>>to be a couple of days work at least, a number of things need to be
>>worked out like hiding the player when you're providing a streaming
>>server (i suggest xfake), then you've gotta have local clients connect
>>to that, as well as remote clients.
>
> it is not necessary to hide anything.
>
> one has to seperate two things wenn talking about vlc:
> *streaming server
> *video player with stream client

Like I wrote in my last post about vlc, I failed to get it working.

> if you check the wishlist for freevo in the wiki you will find both
> features requested. i added an url to my site for the server part as i
> was playing around with this a while ago using the 1.5 codebase.

I would prefer the Freevo 2.0 code base.

> i am talking server only now:
> vlc works without any graphical interface in the console and can be
> started in the background with the required commandline arguments using
> freevo's "childapp" module. this childapp also supports sending
> commands to the process and receiving stdout and errout.. pretty cool
> actually :)

Can you give me an example? E.g. I want to play file foo.avi on the
remote machine. How do I start vlc server to stream the avi to the
client? And how do I start the client?

> my "playing around" came this far:
> *added item to main menu
> *activating this item starts streaming mpeg2 data using /dev/video0 and
> ivtv as source
> *it also sets a status flag in an idlebar plugin (says "stream on" then)
> *activating the menu item again ends and kills (if necessary) the vlc
> server and switches the status to "stream off"
>
> if one knows the freevo codebase this is the work of 2 hours at max.

If I can get it working, it won't be much of a problem. Maybe not 2
hours, but close to it. Maybe kaa.record can use vlc to stream the
data.

> the code is a mess though, but i guess it would be a good starting point
> for further development. taking money for such a thing would be wrong
> imo. after all its FREEvo.

Yes and no. If someone wants to have a feature, money could help. IIRC
apple support for vim is a good example for this. But I don't want
money for this, I want a good reason.

> talking client now:
> a vlc player plugin would probably look very much like the ones for
> mplayer or xine... dont know how hard it would be to adapt.

One major problem is our new canvas stuff. We want to draw on the
video at client side. Jason hacked stuff to do this for mplayer and
xine and this is still missing for vlc.

So _if_ we integrate vlc, we need

o Overlay support to draw on the vlc window. I guess this would be a
  vlc plugin (no python needed here). If you thing you can do it,
  contact us / Jason.

o Tell me how to use the vlc server. Last time I tried it did not
  work.

o Tell me how to use the vlc player. It may sound strange, but I even
  failed to get a window.

Dischi

--
Regarding security, WindowsNT is an OS with a 'Kick me' sign stuck on
it's back.