--- Justin Wetherell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You can also compile DirectFB with the
> "*--with-inputdrivers=none
> --without-tools"* option.

Justin, thank you for all your suggestions. I gave
them all a try, except recompliling DirectFB. I'll do
it as a last resort, but I'm not sure it would do
anything different than putting 'disable-module' in
the directfbrc. Am I wrong?

Putting the disable in the directfbrc does exactly
what it should. Unfortunately, Freevo is counting on
DirectFB for keyboard input, so now _nothing_ responds
to the keyboard, not even the Freevo menus. I'm sure
this would be different if I had a remote and LIRC,
but I haven't moved that far along just yet.

Adding ':noinput' to Mplayer's VO_DEV_OPTS also does
what it should. Mplayer doesn't respond to keyboard
input... but it's still not getting stdin commands
from Freevo, so it's as deaf as df_xine is: Plays
fine, doesn't respond to anything. Siccing killall on
it takes it down and Freevo pops back up, ready to go
another round.

Also, before I wrote the original e-mail, I tried
'--dfb:disable-module=keyboard' in df_xine's command
line and got about the same result as ':noinput' with
Mplayer. Freevo wedged when I quit df_xine, but I'm
not sure the disable and the wedge are related.

So I must theorize that DirectFB is still handing
keyboard control (when it's enabled) over to the child
app. The command-line switches to df_xine and Mplayer
are just making them ignore the keyboard (if they
weren't already).

I've been putting _debug_ statements in xine.py to try
to understand what's going on... can anyone think of a
place I can set a _debug_ statement that will print
when xine.py processes a command and tries to send it
to df_xine? Or a way to intercept the stdin from
Freevo and log it? If I get nothing back from that,
it's pretty much a sure thing Freevo isn't getting key
commands.

One last thing, and I hope this isn't the kind of
thing I should have mentioned up front... but I've
been running Freevo as root while testing it. I tried
it as a normal user, but it turned into a security
nightmare. Each time I granted access to something,
there was just something else that was access denied.
But I'm not sure if running root would make a
difference.

Thanks again for your replies, Justin. Sorry I've got
a stubborn one here! ^_^

James
Panorama City, CA  USA