Hi.

I have two issues, both concerning dvd playback.
No matter what I do, the dvd playback is erratic. It stops every two seconds.
It plays fine in Mplayer or Xine run standalone, but it does not work well in
Freevo. I tried to play in xv, x11 but that does not help.

You should try to see in the logs how mplayer is called when you play a dvd. Then, do the same in a console and start changing things to see what makes it go wrong.

Divx/Xvid play without any problems, smooth.

Second issue is that I lost the possibility of playing dvds in Mplayer -
eventhough I have mplayer as my default/preffered audio player. Everything
else plays in Mplayer but Freevo insists on playing DVDs in Xine.

This wouldn't be a big problem for me. Mplayer can't handle well the menus, so I use xine for dvds and mplayer for the rest. Anyway, if you want to change this, there is a section in the config file where you can configure what extensions can play both players. .vob is not surely in the mplayer list.

   Alberto