On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 18:24 -0700, Ryan Roth wrote:
> I have been doing this for a couple years with the nVidia drivers.  This
> is not a new feature.  Thats why I was complaining that the CVS version
> was stuck at 800x600 forever.  People are correct that the TVs physical
> limit is less than this, but the difference between 800x600 and 1024x768
> is very noticeable, especially when working with high quality video.

I could believe that because of some implementation detail of hardware
scaling (which is not very high quality, at least in my GF440MMX -- it's
about the same quality as my settop DVD player) it ends up looking
better when the card is run at 1024x768.  (Possibly there are separate
paths for video overlay scaling and scaling for tv-output, and the
latter is better quality.)  But I simply can't fathom why that would
yield better quality than running a card at 640x480 (on NTSC) and using
software scaling (bicubic interpolation or possibly lanczos).

In fact if anyone claims otherwise I'll simply refuse to believe it
until I get a good explanation. :)

Jason.