Ignacio - wrote:

> > I dont understand you totally, but I can say that alsa is a very big
> > module/program which has a lot of tools, try to use alsamixer and
> > alsa-tools/alsa-utils, to restore volume at startup.
> > Do you have no sound when you are recording? or playing movie or tv?

films play OK & I haven't tried the recording yet

this is my system out if running from command line & it would appear to
me that the problem is indicated by the part starting "failed to load
plugin mixer"

If someone could tell me how in python I could print out the variables
contained within :

fcntl.ioctl(self.mixfd.fileno(), device, data)

Then maybe I could give you some more details.

START_____

Warning: freevo_config.py was changed, please check local_config.py

You are using version 5.13, changes since then:
Version 5.14:
     Add IMAGEVIEWER_DURATION for auto slideshows

Version 5.15:
     Add two variables for mplayer post processing: MPLAYER_VF_INTERLACED and
     MPLAYER_VF_PROGRESSIVE

Error: TV_RECORD_DIR not set
Please set TV_RECORD_DIR to the directory, where recordings should be stored
or remove the tv plugin. Autoset variable to /home/Media/Films.

Error: VIDEO_SHOW_DATA_DIR not found
ROM_DRIVES: Auto-detected and added "('/mnt/cdrom', '/dev/hdc', 'CD-1')"
failed to load plugin mixer
start 'freevo plugins -l' to get a list of plugins
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/freevo/plugin.py", line 572, in
__load_plugin__
    p = eval(object)()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/freevo/plugins/mixer.py", line 100, in
__init__
    self.setMainVolume(config.DEFAULT_VOLUME)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/freevo/plugins/mixer.py", line 191, in
setMainVolume
    self._setVolume(self.SOUND_MIXER_WRITE_VOLUME, self.mainVolume)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/freevo/plugins/mixer.py", line 165, in
_setVolume
    fcntl.ioctl(self.mixfd.fileno(), device, data)
OverflowError: long int too large to convert to int

WARNING: the idlebar.weather plugin downloads new weather
information inside the main loop. This bug makes all menu
actions _very_ slow. Consider not using this plugin for higher
speed.

To search for covers you need an Amazon.com Web Services
license key. You can get yours from:

https://associates.amazon.com/exec/panama/associates/join/developer/application.html
plugin audio.coversearch deactivated, reason: no amazon key

Warning: freevo_config.py was changed, please check local_config.py

You are using version 5.13, changes since then:
Version 5.14:
     Add IMAGEVIEWER_DURATION for auto slideshows

Version 5.15:
     Add two variables for mplayer post processing: MPLAYER_VF_INTERLACED and
     MPLAYER_VF_PROGRESSIVE

END _____

TIA

Adam