I think I'm getting closer; this is the script I'm using to record via
the command line:

By enabling the cd mixer playback shouldn't I be hearing the tv program
when this command is executed?

So far I can only hear a "hiss" that switches on/off when the tv card is
accessed.

#!/bin/sh

mencoder='/usr/bin/mencoder'
channel=$1

width=320
height=240

adevice=/dev/alsa

output=/home/tv/test.avi

# set cd volume to 80% and mute playback

amixer cset numid=21 80%
#amixer cset numid=20 off
amixer cset numid=20 on   # so we can test if it's working

# capture source CD

amixer cset numid=26 1
amixer cset numid=27 on

$mencoder tv:// -tv
driver=v4l:input=0:norm=pal:channel=$channel:width=$width:height=$height:outfmt=yuy2:device=/dev/video0:adevice=$adevice:audiorate=32000

buffersize=64 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=5000:keyint=30
-oac mp3lame -lameopts br=128:cbr:mode=3 -ffourcc divx -endpos 409 -o
$output

# unmute playback

amixer cset numid=20 on

# capture source CD off

amixer cset numid=27 off

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ amixer info
Card default 'IXP'/'ATI IXP rev 0 with AD1888 at 0xfe800000, irq 209'
  Mixer name    : 'Analog Devices AD1888'
  Components    : 'AC97a:41445368'
  Controls      : 43
  Simple ctrls  : 29

The TV sound ouput is plugged into the CD in socket on the motherboard.

I am using the right channel, because if I watch tv in tvtime and run
amixer cset numid=20 off then the sound is cut off. So it seems that the
sound isn't getting output from the tv card at all when using mencoder.

:(

Amadeus