Hi Ashley,

You mentioned pretty boot process;

http://www.bootsplash.org/

Try that, suse have been using it for a while, you can do things like
animations (fbmngplay) and progress bars using it, and its not as bulky
as RHGB.

as far as hardware is concerned a good UK provider is

https://linitx.com/

I could probably help out with building a distribution especially for
freevo... Are you going to linux from scratch it? I personally would
prefer to build it out of a seriously trimmed down redhat/fedora or
ubuntu. I don't have a great deal of time however with the projects I'm
currently involved in.

The advantage of fedora is anaconda which can be used to build a
bootable install disc from whatever packages are on an installed system.
The advantage of ubuntu is the live CD aspect.

I also have some SVGs of the freevo logo and a device I did a while back
which unfortunately I've still not managed to complete a website with.

K,

PS. Where abouts in the UK are you?