Alberto Hernando wrote:
> El Martes, 31 de Octubre de 2006 23:19, Duncan Webb escribió:
>> Normally the decision is based on how much cash you have, rather than
>> the quality. Anyway, I have both a 350 and a 500 (a 350 is a 250 with a
>> decoder and a 500 is 2x150).
>
> Hi.
>
> I'm thinking about getting one of these. And you are right when you talk
> about
> budget. 250 is about 60€ more expensive than 150. For what I've seen, the
> main difference is the encoder/decoder features of the 250. Is the rest more
> or less the same? In this case, as was discussed in other thread, all you
> need is plenty of hard disk space and cpu power to encode later. Right? A
> nice feature for freevo 1.7 or 2, id it doesn't exist, is to be able to
> configure the recordserver to automagically encode the recordings, if the
> user wishes.

Freevo rel-1 in svn has the encoder server, which I'm still working on,
which will encode DVDs and MPEGs to divx/avi files. I would prefer it to
use mkv and ogg audio as the compression is that mush better.

The 250 doesn't has a mpeg decoder, it's the 350 that has one, all the
ivtv cards have an mpeg encoder. I think the main differences is the
chipset that are used between the 150 and the 250.

BTW I quite like the 500MCE.

Duncan