Duncan-

> Personally I think the xine developers are not being logical, I don't
> see why they should disable --no-lirc when lirc has not been built-in.
Agreed, but that is what theyhave done.

> I really doesn't make much sense to have a xine built without lirc and
> then use freevo with lirc enabled. So I would suggest that xine is
> rebuilt with lirc support.
This not really needed as Freevo is handling the lirc commands for
xine. Given that Freevo has to send a --no-lirc to xine to disable
built in lirc support adding lirc support to xine just get it disabled
is what seems odd.

> >From the freevo side: if lirc is not being used then the code in rc.py
> checks for config.LIRCRC it the file that this points to doesn't exist
> then PYLIRC is FALSE.
>
> In video/plugins/xine the following is defined:
>   if not rc.PYLIRC and '--no-lirc' in command:
>     command.remove('--no-lirc')
> I which case the --no-lirc option is *not* passed to xine.

This would work in cases where lirc is not used at all, but still
fails in cases like with where lirc is used but xine is not build with
lirc support. Not in front of  *nix box at the moment, but maybe
freevo can test the xine binary for lirc support during 'freevo setup'
and have it determine an lirc enabled or disabled build and set it in
freevo.conf.
  Becuase this maybe an edge-case, I still think an option like
XINE_LIRC_DISABLED=<0 or 1> in local_config.py with the default
setting to be true would be the simplest and fast solution to the
problem. So then you end up with something like this:
  if XINE_LIRC_DISABLED = 1
      command.remove('--no-lirc')
This leaves the command as is for most installations, which seem to
work, butprovides a fix for edge cases. This also looks simpler to
implement. My python is not very good,but I could try and code this
check in to the plugin.

Evan

Honestly