You can take a look here, first lines:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Plextor_ConvertX_PVR

A pretty good device, that don't use a lot of CPU.
The good point is that all drivers are open sources :) that's why I've
choosen it !
The bad point, only myth tv support it :(
Well... until now ;)

The quality is pretty good and I prefer encode a film in mpeg2-dvd 712*576
1Go for 45min I think, but excellent quality with no cpu overhead :)
In fact you can choose tha bitrate and encoding so may vary a lot.
The only thing it can't do (from what I've tryed) is encoding audio
stream as mp3.
Currently it encodes audio with PCM, that's why the file is (so) big.
This is the first video capture device I bought so I can't do the
comparison with others :)

I had A/V sync problem with the recording app, but I found on internet a
A/V sync patch that corrected the problem.

I will take a look to the python code to see If  can do something with it :)

Regards,
Laurent